In one of those rare moments in life when the stars seem to align just right and everything falls into place as if it was meant to be, I found out that Marilyn Manson, one of my all time favourite artists, was going to be playing a show in Portland on my birthday. Suffice it to say that I was thrilled.
I'd recently downloaded his new album, The High End of Low; and the more I listened to it, the more it grew on me. And I definitely wasn’t disappointed. The show itself was awesome, even though Manson himself is now forty and slightly out of shape.
Shakespeare famously wrote, "All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players," but what does it really matter in the end if you're not being true to yourself? Whether you've tried to act like a saint, or played the part of a sinner, why bother wasting time trying to be something you're not, something you don't even want to be, when the world will just as likely turn on you either way?
A few years ago, people hailed Manson as an iconic antihero reflecting our all-American hypocrisy back at us, saying he didn't "pull any punches." These same people now criticize him as a fat, washed up has-been who should quietly slink away from the spotlight—as if they've done anything remotely noteworthy their entire, pathetic lives and possess some kind of self-appointed authority over when other people should stop being themselves.
And all the while Manson, now noticeably older and slightly overweight, is still doing what he does best — challenging society's ideas of what's acceptable while defiantly giving the world the same two middle fingers — with the attitude of, in his own words: "What're you going to do, punish me? Is there something worse than where I'm at now? Is there a prison that is worse than the one I'm in, that I put myself in?"
Yes, the once tall and slender "god of fuck," the symbol of rebellion for a whole generation of young social outcasts, has gotten fat. And I love him for it.
Tuesday, September 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment