Holy shit, Morbid Angel is coming next week and playing the entire Covenant album to celebrate the 20th anniversary of its release! Even though I have to work the next day at 6:30am, there's no way I'm missing this.
Covenant is one of the best death metal albums ever made. The first time I heard "Rapture" on Headbanger's Ball, I was young, rebellious, and fancied myself quite the little Satanist. It was the heaviest, most Satanic thing I'd ever heard, and I couldn't get enough of it. I listened to that tape religiously. When I heard they were playing at the Falcon Club in Hamtramck, MI, I knew I had to go.
It was the summer of 1994. I was all of 15 and crashing on my friend Mike's couch at the time. I remember that we had to go to some record store or another to buy the tickets. My friend Larry was there too. We convinced somebody to give us a ride down there that night (maybe Jerry, or someone's mom?). I remember waiting outside and hearing them rehearse "Sworn to the Black." It gave me chills. I was so fucking excited I was practically twerking with anticipation.
The place was small and more like a basement than a venue. 7,000 Dying Rats and Crowbar opened. Then Morbid Angel came on and fucking destroyed my face with the heaviest riffs and most devilish lyrics my relatively innocent, young ears had until that time heard (this was before the interwebs, mind you). It was one hell of a show. I headbanged so hard I'm pretty sure I gave myself whiplash.
After the show, we tried to find a ride back, but ended up having to catch a taxi instead. Unfortunately, we could only afford to make it halfway back to Mike's place, walking the last 5 or 6 miles in the dead of night.
And that's how Morbid Angel became the first band I ever saw live.
Wednesday, November 20, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment