Wednesday, May 13, 2015

colour me impressed, pope

While I'm skeptical a two-state solution is viable given the history and logic of settler states, I'll admit to being pleasantly surprised by the news that the Vatican is expected to officially recognize Palestinian statehood soon. At the very least, Palestinians are being put back in the spotlight in an arguably positive way, and their cause given further international support with this announcement—a good thing, in my opinion.

On a related note, I also read that the Pope helped facilitate the US-Cuba deal, which may allow US researchers access to a potentially-effective lung cancer vaccine developed at the Cuban Center for Molecular Immunology, as well as offered this gem to a group of students, parents, and teachers recently: “When we see that everything revolves around money — the economic system revolves around money and not around the person, men and women, but money — so much is sacrificed and war is waged in order to defend the money.” Colour me impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment